As we start the New Year, now is the time to start thinking about your personal and professional goals for 2015. For many, reaching your goals may feel like an unthinkable feet, but this year don’t get discouraged, and find success with these 5 tips:
1. Take it one step at a time. It is easy to set this huge goal and after a week feel discouraged because you haven’t achieved it or you don’t see how you can achieve you goal. Instead, break your goal down into steps. For example, if you’ve always dreamed of writing a novel, the task can be overwhelming, so why not break it down to you’ll write 500 words every day. You can easily track your progress and not feel overwhelmed.
2. Be realistic (but still dream big). Setting a goal such as weighing a particular weight by a certain date may be unrealistic. Instead why not set a goal that you will exercise every day for 30 minutes? Although setting a weight is not a bad idea, you can get frustrated if your weight goes up.
3. Write your goals down. Brian Tracy recommends writing down your goals with clear, descriptive, and measurable details. Studies have shown people who write down their goals are more likely to accomplish them.
4. Don’t be too hard on yourself. If you mess up, skip a workout, or something, forgive yourself. You’re human. Accept you missed a workout, didn’t get your 500 words in, or whatever your goal was and start again. Another excellent tip, have a friend you can talk to or workout with. When you have a support system in place, you are more likely to succeed.
5. Set a deadline. There is a wonderful quote that states, “A goal without a deadline is just a dream.” Turn your dreams in a reality and start taking the steps to living the life you wanted. You can do this, one day at a time!