With the murder of real estate agent, Beverly Carter, her son is urging for greater safety measures to be taken to prevent this from happening to someone else. With the tragic murder, it is important for agents to make safety a top priority and REALTOR® associations across the country are taking extra precautions to train and ensure safety for agents.
There are some apps and ‘smart jewelry’ worth checking out to stay safe. In addition to using technology to stay safe, here are a few more things you can do to stay safe:
- Always let your office and one personal contact know where you are at all times.
- Never agree to a private showing unless you’ve already met the client in your office (and even then, you should still be cautious). When possible, bring a co-worker along with you when showing a home.
- Have clients complete an information form with their name, a copy of their driver’s license, and vehicle information during open houses and private showings.
- Take a self-defense class, carry pepper-spray, and be ready to defend yourself.
- Trust your gut and don’t worry about offending a client if something doesn’t feel right. Your safety is top priority.